Q&A with young singer-songwriter Kelsey Coleman


Kelsey Coleman is an artist that prioritizes being true to herself, she sees no other way of doing things. Steadily emerging as a promising creative story-teller, her music draws from her life, struggles and how she deals with them.


Her latest song, ‘Nobody’, is out now on all major streaming platforms and below you can enjoy the intimate official music video.





Looking back, what were some of your earliest entries into music appreciation? And music production?

I went to a three-week summer course for music production which is where I met some really good friends. We wrote, recorded, and produced my first song. 


What are some of your key musical influences?

eden, Halsey, Kanye West, lil peep, sasha sloan, illenium. 


If you could paint a picture of your unique sound, what would it look like?

Definitely very colorful. Dreamy. A painting with a lot of layers, I like my music to have depth. 


Take us through your songwriting process. Are there any particular steps you take when putting music together?

I always start on my lyrics and then think about what kind of mood I want the song to be. (i.e. more punk, more dream pop, etc) 


What gets your creative juices flowing?

Being in nature and being with friends


As an artist, it becomes apparent that there is a huge difference between the art and the business. Is there anything about the music scene that you would personally change?

I dislike the business side of the music industry. It takes so much for an independent artist to get recognized. 


Tell us about the chemistry you have with your fans on stage.

I have never actually performed in front of fans in a concert like setting, but i’m really excited to.


What is the most memorable response you have had to your music?

A guy made fun of me because he didn’t believe I was the one singing.


What would you like to achieve with your music? What does success look like to you?

Performing and people singing along to my lyrics is what I see my success as.


What's on your current playlist?

Definitely Juice Wrld’s new album, some Vance Joy, I’ve been turning up to Doja Cat, Jon Bellion, and I’ve actually been listening to some spanish music lately.


Breakdown the news for us: what can we expect from you in the near future?

My next single is called ‘Break Mine’ and I really want to release an album soon. 



Follow Kelsey Coleman


Comments